Letters

Nesson Teaches Law Students Right Lesson

Letter To The Editor

To the editors:

I have watched the student criticism of Weld Professor of Law Charles R. Nesson ’60 with increasing concern and dismay (News, “Nesson Steps Down From Teaching Amid Protests,” April 22).

Our legal system is built on the principle that everyone has the right to a fair trial and adequate representation before the law, no matter how odious or hated in the eyes of the public that person may be. As future lawyers, we may be called upon to represent clients accused of opprobrious behavior, and it is our duty as lawyers to represent them to the very best of our ability, even if we are personally disgusted by their conduct. That law student Matthias Scholl has made an utterly reprehensible statement is undeniable, but his actions do not disentitle him to representation, nor do they make his advocate responsible for his actions.

The students who have called for disciplinary action against Nesson are sending a dangerous and disturbing message to law students across the nation—that it is acceptable to drown the legal rights of the unpopular in a sea of protest. Their conduct is not only professionally irresponsible, it is contrary to the fundamental values of the law. If Nesson’s students do not want a mock trial, then so be it, but they should not attack him for his suggestion merely because of the sensitive and scurrilous nature of Scholl’s behavior.

Jeffrey E. Zinsmeister ’00

Berkeley, Calif.

April 24, 2002