Swift Discusses Life After Sept. 11

Loewe B Lee

Mass. Acting Governor JANE M. SWIFT spoke on life after Sept. 11 at the ARCO Forum.

Acting Gov. Jane M. Swift addressed the challenges of political leadership in the aftermath of Sept.11 last night at the Kennedy School of Government’s ARCO forum.

Swift, a 36-year-old Republican, explained to the nearly 450 audience members how her role in office had changed following the terrorist attacks.

“The events of Sept. 11 resulted in a dramatic realignment in public service,” Swift said.

Swift said she found herself thrust into the national spotlight on the morning of the attack after the two planes that hit the World Trade Center buildings were found to have taken off from Boston’s Logan Airport.

“It was the worst moment in my life when I learned the planes had originated from Logan Airport,” Swift said.

Swift said her administration had to change its focus to emphasize public safety and to reform a legacy of political patronage at the airport. In one case, the chief of security at the airport was former Governor William F. Weld ’66’s driver.

Swift also noted the importance of state government in contributing to national intelligence efforts.

“If I do my job right, you won’t know much about this,” Swift said.

Swift kept her prepared remarks brief and spent most of her time addressing a broad array of questions from the audience.

She also discussed the difficulties facing the state economy. Swift has been forced to make over $55 million in budget cuts this year and announced Monday $10 million more in potential cuts.

“These are tough choices in a tough time,” Swift said.

Swift said she faced a challenge as a Republican governor in an

“overwhelmingly Democrat state.”

She was not elected but, as the former lieutenant governor, replaced Governor Paul Cellucci when he accepted an appointment as the ambassador to Canada.

“You learn how to build coalitions,” Swift said. “I tend to use the bully pulpit a bit more than others.”

Swift, one of five female governors and the only governor ever to give birth while in office, also addressed the role of gender in politics.

“Motherhood does not disqualify you from public service,” Swift said.

Swift will have the chance to win the governor’s office in her own right in 2004, but said she was set to begin campaigning now. The Democrats have already begun the process of selecting their gubernatorial candidate.

“This was a very good beginning campaign speech,” Elizabeth A. Sykes ‘04 said.

—Staff writer Nicole B. Usher can be reached at usher@fas.harvard.edu.