Letters

Letters

Violence Not the Content of Patriotism

To the editors:

I am writing in response to “The Moment of Truth,” by Ross G. Douthat ’02 (Op-Ed, Sept. 19). Mr. Douthat’s fervent patrioism and disdain for those who appear to be blase and indifferent to the tragedy is very understandable at this time and, to an extent, admirable. However, I disagree with his claim that anyone who fails to feel a “burning desire to visit a terrible justice on those responsible” is an unjust person.

It is Douthat’s prerogative and right to feel that way himself—indeed, it was the right to express such strong emotions, among countless other liberties, that was attacked last week. However, to question the patriotism and sense of justice of any American who feels that violence of this magnitude should not necessarily be repaid with equal violence is as harmful as the indifferent attitude of those he himself rebukes.

I realize that, by writing this, I run the risk of sounding as callous and jaded as those who dislike the sight of American flags hanging from every window. I spent the first 18 years of my life in New York City, and no matter what I call my “official residence,” I will always be a New Yorker at heart. I mourn for my hometown along with the rest of the country, and wish to see those responsible brought to justice. If that means military action, so be it.

However, my patriotism is not blind to the fact that many more people, some of them innocent civilians, will perish if indeed we retaliate with force. Any American who chooses to focus more on helping the people affected by this terrible event and hoping or praying for peace rather than evoking the wrath of the military on Afghanistan is still a patriotic and just citizen.

The fire of patriotism that serves to warm, embrace and enlighten is just as valid as that which seeks to exact revenge.