Campus Looks At Road Ahead

As the Harvard campus slowly returns to normal after Tuesday’s attacks, students have begun to express their feelings about how aggressively the United States should pursue those responsible for the terrorist attacks.

While they generally agreed that concern for the victims should come first, students varied in how much discretion they said will be appropriate in the search for suspects.

Saif I. Shah Mohammed ’02, president of the Harvard Islamic Society (HIS), said he feels protecting the innocent in other countries, potential targets of U.S. retaliation, should still be of the utmost importance.

“Innocent people like them and like us who have nothing to do with this, and whose traditions have nothing to do with this...must be protected,” Shah Mohammed said. “If innocent people should be made to suffer, that will only fulfill the objectives of the perpetrators.”

While he said he understands and shares the anger over Tuesday’s events, Shah Mohammed also urged restraint.

“It is important for everybody to keep a level head at this time. We’re only giving the perpetrators of the crime a victory when we lose our heads,” he said.

Loeb Professor of Classical Art and Architecture David G. Mitten, who joined HIS at a meeting last night, echoed Shah Mohammed’s sentiments.

“The U.S. should react with great restraint. There should be no jumping to conclusions, no scapegoats until U.S. intelligence has proof as to who did this,” Mitten said at the HIS meeting.