Track Gears Up for Heps

For three years in a row, the men's Outdoor Heptagonal Championship has been won by Princeton and the women's Outdoor Heptagonal Championship has been won by Brown.

The Harvard men's and women's tra c k teams would like to see both of those streaks come to an end at the 2001 Outdoor Heps at Princeton this weekend.

Harvard Women

Co-captain Brenda Taylor's twin sister Lindsay is a captain of the Brown women's track team. Between Indoor and Outdoor Heps, Brown has won six of the last seven championships. Harvard has not won an outdoor title since 1990.

Tomorrow is the last chance for the Harvard seniors to beat Brown in the outdoor season.

At Indoor Heps, Brown edged out Harvard 120 to 110 for the title. That 10-point deficit is equivalent to the point value of a first-place finish.

Co-captains Taylor and Marna Schutte are expected to lead the Harvard scoring on the track.

Taylor, as usual, will run several events for the Crimson. She is the defending champion in the 100-meter dash and the 100-meter high hurdles, and she ran the fastest American time in the country last week at the Penn Relays in the 400-meter intermediate hurdles at 56.11 seconds. Sophomore Amanda Shanklin also has the potential to place highly in the 400 hurdles.