In the Mix

More more more of my column—how do you like it, how do you like it?

SUGAR SUGAR

“It’s been 6 long hours and 5 long days 4 all your lies to come undone and those 3 small words were way 2 late... can’t you see that I’m the 1?” That Josie and the Pussycats song (“Three Small Words”) is so bloody catchy. And it’s good to see that they got credible artists to write the songs: David Gibbs of the Gigolo Aunts has probably never had so many people listen to one of his songs. Plus, continuing the Boston connection, Kay Hanley of Letters to Cleo chips in with vocals. Yay clever bubblegum!

In the Other-Songs-I-Can’t-Get-Out-of-My-Head department, REM’s “Imitation of Life” (off their new Reveal album) sounds like something from their Out of Time days. While it isn’t as immediately catchy as, say, “Losing My Religion,” the line about “that sugarcane that tasted good” keeps repeating and shouting in my ear... Mmm. Sugar cane.

DOO WAH DIDDY

Now that the artist formerly known as Puff Daddy has adopted the distinctly childish moniker P-Diddy, his arrests seem to have also veered into the kiddie department. P-Diddy (née Sean Combs) was arrested in Miami Beach for making an illegal lane change on a scooter and charged with driving on a suspended license. Driving a scooter on a suspended license? I suppose it could have been sillier. He could’ve run someone over while using one of those Razor scooter things.

In the Not-Related-But-Equally-Pathetic department, Steven Seagal is recording an album, with Wyclef Jean producing. I guess the logic was that if DMX can be an actor, Steven Seagal can be a musical star. Ick. Does anyone remember Don Johnson’s musical career? I thought not. Me, I’d settle for Seagal actually acting.

Speaking of Wyclef, will the Fugees ever get back together? Pretty please? What if I promised to be a very good person for the next year?