Sit-In Marks Escalation In Campaign

The continuing occupation of Massachusetts Hall by the Progressive Student Labor Movement (PSLM) marks an unprecedented escalation for the living wage campaign, which for the past two years has been characterized by an array of generally light-hearted actions and cooperation with the Harvard University Police Department (HUPD).

PSLM members, who began the semester delivering cookies and Valentine's Day cards to administrators, say the sit-in is an unfortunate, but necessary, step in their two-year campaign for a living wage of $10.25 per hour for all Harvard employees.

The student activists, who risk disciplinary action with the continuing sit-in, say they have been left no alternative.

In response to PSLM's actions, a high-ranking committee of faculty members and administrators released a 100-page report last spring recommending that the University enlarge the scope of worker benefits, including health insurance, education and access to campus facilities.

PSLM members unilaterally rejected the recommendations and vowed to continue to fight for a living wage.

But the student activists say that since the release of the report, they have essentially been stonewalled by the administration, and have been forced to redefine their campaign strategy.

"Since the committee released its recommendations-rejecting the implementation of any wage standard whatsoever for Harvard workers-administrators have told us that the issue is closed," the press release read.

"We've tried a whole variety of tactics-from teach-ins to rallies to meetings with administrators," PSLM member Amy C. Offner '01 said outside Mass. Hall yesterday.