M. Lacrosse Opens Season with 8-4 Win Over Providence

The Harvard men's lacrosse team came out firing on Saturday afternoon, posting an 8-4 win over Providence at Jordan Field in its season opener.

The Crimson (1-0), ranked No. 20 in Face-Off Magazine's pre-season poll, spread four goals over three periods before the Friars (0-2, 0-1 MAC) got on the board after the half, and ended up outshooting the Providence, 45-17, on the afternoon.

Junior midfielder Jim Christian netted the winning goal off an assist from sophomore attackman Matt Primm at 11:41 of the third, with the Crimson well in control of the game, leading by 5-2 by that point.

Senior attackman Roger Buttles opened the scoring for the 2001 season when he dodged a defender around the crease and beat Providence goalie John Farley to make it 1-0 at 11:47.

Farley, a junior, was between the pipes after freshman Paul Doran made only 10 saves and was ripped for 14 goals in the Friars' 14-8, season-opening loss to Holy Cross last Tuesday.

The goalie change did not seem to have much of an effect, however, as the Crimson controlled the game throughout.

Buttles scored in a man-up situation at 2:27 of the second period off of a feed from sophomore midfielder Doug Logigian. Primm then converted on a pass from co-captain Dana Sprong at 9:37 to make it 3-0.

Buttles scored another unassisted strike at the beginning of the second half to put the Crimson up 4-0.