LETTERS

Grade Inflation Cannot Tarnish Harvard Name

To the editors:

While on the whole simple and obvious, the argument that Jordana R. Lewis '02 makes against grade inflation concludes with a gross misstatement of the issue at hand (Mansfield Makes the Grade, Feb. 15). Lewis suggests that grade inflation, makes a mockery of our institution and our diplomas, a thought which at first glance appears quite firm, but at least reasonable.

Actually, only diminished entrance requirements, watered-down courses or a degeneration of the academic climate, not inflated grades, can make a mockery of the Harvard name. Grade inflation, on the other hand, makes a mockery only of our transcripts, and the GPAs that they contain, a very important difference. The issue is not the sullying of the Harvard name, but rather how best to differentiate the performance of students.

In todays climate, prospective employers can respect your Harvard diploma, cast away your inflated transcript and move on to others means of evaluation. If grade inflation really made of mockery of Harvard diplomas, the employers would not come at all. No matter how one feels about grade inflation, care should be taken to reasonably frame the debate, and not mire an important discussion about our respectable pillar of higher education with rhetorical over-enthusiasm.

Clay B. Tousey '02

Feb. 15, 2001