Harvard Sweeps Red Line Series With 3-1 Win

The second installment of the Red Line Rivalry was identical to the first.

The Harvard men's volleyball team crushed MIT 3-1 ( 30-20, 30-23, 28-30, 30-23) last night at the Malkin Athletic Center.

It was the second time this season the Crimson ( 5-3, 1-3 Hay) dominated the Engineers (2-13, 1-8 Odeneal) in four games. Harvard defeated MIT 3-1 in its season opener three weeks ago.

The Crimson managed to recover its winning ways and snap a two-game losing streak, despite the loss of sophomore setter Mike Bookman.

Bookman went down with a back injury in the first game of the match. In the middle of a long rally, Bookman apparently landed awkwardly and collapsed on the court. He did not get up for several minutes and was eventually helped off the court.

Harvard was already missing freshman middle blocker Juan Carlos Cardet due to an ankle sprain and it seemed the match would take a turn for the worse with the loss of Bookman. However, his replacement, freshman Russell Mosier, played an excellent game as the setter in Harvard's victory.

"This was a very satisying win," Harvard Coach Tom Wilson said. "With Juan Carlos out and Mike going down to injury, we had to come together as a team."

The Crimson jumped out early in the first game, led by the play of junior co-captain Justin Denham and senior outside hitter Brian Stevenson.