Building Proposal Reviewed by City

A proposed University building on Mt. Auburn Street--compared by some to the Carpenter Center because of its unconventional design--entered the city's formal approval process last night.

Harvard Planning and Real Estate (HPRE) made the case that the building--which will house the main offices of Harvard University Libraries--can make an artistic statement while remaining on an appropriate scale.

The angled bronze and stainless steel wire mesh and glass facade is the defining feature of the structure, designed by Austrian architect Hans Hollein, dean of the Vienna Academy of Arts and a recipient of the prestigious Pritzker Prize for architecture. His designs are known for fitting into the aesthetic and historical settings of a city, but at the same time, are considered fairly radical.

Hollein has previously designed only two buildings in the U.S.

HPRE presented the building to the Harvard Square Advisory Commitee, which is comprised of architects, local residents and members of the business community. The committee's decisions are non-binding recommendations given to the Cambridge planning board.

Last October, Hollein travelled to Cambridge to hear community concerns.

"We believe we've addressed every issue that's been raised," said Scott Levitan, the director of University and commercial real estate for HPRE.

Hollein was not present at last night's meeting, but Leland D. Cott, a principal in the local firm working with Hollein on the project, gave the main presentation. Cott has previously worked on the both the University and Memorial Hall restorations for Harvard.