Dartmouth, Cornell Are No Contest for M. Swimming

The Harvard men's swimming and diving team (7-1, 5-1 Ivy) traveled to upstate New York Saturday to face the Big Red and Big Green and drowned them both.

Harvard, currently ranked No. 20 in the country, took first place in 13 of 16 events, including both relays and the three-meter diving competition. The team also set two new pool records.

Harvard handed Dartmouth a loss with the largest margin that the Ivy League has seen so far this season, 238-58. The Crimson also embarassed the Cornell squad with a final score of 207.5-85.5.

Even more impressive, Harvard competed without the talents of its senior class. The class of '01 stayed behind in order to gain an extra week of rest without racing as well as to offer the underclassmen a glimpse of how the team will function next year.

"I think it's promising for next year," said freshman Enrique Roy of the abbreviated team. "It just shows that as the seniors leave, we're not going to be handicapped."

The Crimson showed no sign of being at a disadvantage--in addition to the team's event wins, the men swept first through third place in eight events, including a five-event sweep in the second half.

Harvard kicked off the meet with a one-two finish in the 200-yard medley relay as the team of sophomore Cory Walker, freshman Jonathan Lin, sophomore Leif Drake and freshman Kevin Budris won the event in 1:35.18.

Sophomore Andrew McConnell then took the 1650 free, out-touching Cornell junior John Kenny to win in 15:59.50, while Walker, freshman John Cole and James Lawler swept first through third place in the 200 free. Walker's time of 1:40.53 was a new pool record.