Men's Hockey Sweeps Union and RPI

This is the type of sibling rivalry the Harvard men's hockey team needs more of.

On Friday, captain Steve Moore led the way for the Crimson with four points, a goal and three assists. Not to let his older brother steal the show, on Saturday sophomore center Dominic Moore netted Harvard's first hat trick in over two years and tacked on an assist for good measure to match Steve's point total as the Crimson swept the Union-RPI weekend, with a pair of 5-2 victories at Bright Hockey Center

The wins snapped a four-game losing streak for the first place Crimson (8-7-1, 7-3-1 ECAC) and also marked its first win in six tries against a ranked opponent as Harvard breezed past No. 12 Rensselaer (10-5-1, 4-3-1) on Saturday.

"It is a good weekend anytime you can come up with four points, especially after a bit of difficult times," Harvard Coach Mark Mazzoleni said. "We finished very well [Saturday night]. Steve Moore and Dom generated a lot of offense and we were good again on special teams."

Harvard has one of the nation's elite special teams units. Its penalty kill is ranked fifth in the nation at 90 percent and its power play is tied for eighth, clicking at 22.9 percent. They were the difference in both games.

Union (6-5-1, 3-3-1) had both a five-on-three man advantage and a five minute major power play during the third period, while it only trailed 3-2, and came up empty. Harvard also killed off six RPI power plays, which entered the weekend in the nation's top-10 with a 22.9 percent conversion rate.

Meanwhile, the Crimson went 5-for-12 with the man advantage, a total that included two of Dom Moore's trio on Saturday. It added a shorthanded goal for good measure. Harvard now has more shorthanded goals in ECAC play than its opponents have power play goals.

"Anytime you can win the specialty team battle in a game, the percentages are on your side," Mazzoleni said. "We've added more speed up front on the penalty kill. We have guys who can kill and also generate some offense on it."