M. Swimming Remains Undefeated after Slaughtering Navy

One would think Navy would have a pretty good swim team.

Apparently, not good enough.

The Harvard men's swimming and diving team annihilated the United States Naval Academy 211-89 Saturday, continuing the men's undefeated season (3-0, 3-0 Ivy). Crimson swimmers won all 14 events (often placing first, second, and third) while the divers secured second on both the one- and three-meter boards.

"After a tough training trip, everyone stepped up and swam really well," sophomore Nathaniel Towery said.

The Crimson spent last week practicing in Sarasota, Fl. The week-long trip, a common feature among swim teams, generally includes two practices a day as well as some of the toughest training of the season.

While the meet against Navy was the men's first league meet since mid-November, the competition also marked the team's last home meet of the season. Accordingly, the nine members of the graduating class were recognized for their contributions.

"It's been a good four years," said Senior Dan Barnes, who took third in the 50 freestyle. "We've managed to win Easterns all four years we've been here, so hopefully this year will be an even better season....I think that this team definitely has the potential to be a Top-10, nationally-ranked team."

Among those acknowledged during the brief ceremony were double event-winners Michael Im and Will Oren. Following the senior recognition, Im won both the 100 and 200 backstroke against Navy. Oren secured both the 100 and 200 butterfly.