M. Soccer Edges Vermont 1-0 in Thriller

Two days after the USA men's soccer team made history by reaching the Olympic quarterfinals for the first time, the Harvard men's soccer was creating some drama of its own.

Freshman forward Spencer George, who scored the lone goal as the unlikely hero in the season opener, duplicated his feat yesterday as he lobbed home the winning goal in the 89th minute to lift the Crimson (2-1-1) over the Vermont Catamounts (3-4-0), 1-0.

The strike, which came with only 53 seconds to play in regulation, was set up by a feed from captain Ryan Kelly. Kelly now has two assists on the season, cementing his role as the quarterback of the Crimson's young and explosive offense.

George, who is quickly becoming Harvard's most lethal weapon, notched his second goal of the season. His two goals account for half of the Crimson's total offensive production for the year.

Yesterday's climactic goal was eerily reminiscent of George's first goal of the season. In that instance, the young forward controlled a pass from fellow freshman Ladd Fritz in the 79th minute and scored the game-winning goal in a 1-0 contest against West Virginia.

Junior goalie Dan Mejias also repeated the strong play he showed during his first collegiate shutout against the Moutaineers on September 10. As against West Virginia, Mejias made six crucial saves yesterday to record his second shutout.

Chris Shaver, Mejias' Vermont counterpart, turned away only three shots in the losing effort.

Perhaps the only difference between the Crimson's season opener against the Mountaineers and its most recent victory against the Catamounts was the overall tempo of the game.