Saved by the Bell: X-Treme Caution

I never really liked Phil Mushnick.

The New York Post scribe puts out a weekly column that lambastes the people and practices he believes are ruining sports. The great thing about Mushnick's articles is that he finds a way to blame pretty much everything wrong in the world on professional wrestling.

Dennis Miller's raunchy football commentary? It's wrestling's fault! Violently vocal parents at little league games? Wrestling again! The juiced home run ball? Wrestling…somehow.

I'm not the world's biggest WWF fan, but it always seemed like a bit of a stretch to me.

I haven't seen a Mushnick column on it yet, but I can only assume that Phil isn't a very big fan of WWF boss Vince McMahon's plans for a new eight-team football league, the XFL. He's probably about as thrilled about the idea as Rudy from Survivor would be about a cameo appearance on Will and Grace.

The XFL will kick off in February. Play in the new league will feature several changes from traditional pro football that are meant to enhance the speed and smash-mouthed nature of the game.

Among these innovations will be the elimination of the fair catch rule, a more lenient stance toward hard hits and one-foot-in catches and cameras that allow fans a better glimpse into the workings of the field, locker room and huddle.

Although some of the proposed departures from the NFL game seem appealing (particularly the ten minute limit on halftime), I can't help but feel a bit wary of the XFL.