Sailing Earns Third at ICYRA Meet

With finals out of the way and more time to focus on their sport, the Harvard co-ed and women's sailing teams found themselves in the throes of championship competitions, the culmination of the sailing year.

The Crimson was at the Intercollegiate Yacht Racing Association North American Spring Championships, a series of three races that is often a training ground for future Olympians.

"The ICYRA North Americans are a showcase for sailing's best collegiate talent," said Mike Horn, president of the ICYRA, "and provide a window on the future of the Olympics, the America's Cup and other world-level regattas."

With two of the three races completed, the Harvard contingent has warranted a good look from the national sailing bodies.

Last Wednesday through Friday, the No. 3 co-ed team took third in the ICYRA Team Race Championship at St. Mary's College in Maryland.

In a round-robin format, the Crimson went 9-2 and won a tiebreaking third-place race against No. 6 Dartmouth. The victory avenged a round-robin loss, for a 10-2 record on the weekend.

Although also losing to eventual champion and No. 2 St. Mary's, the Crimson romped over the rest of the field, beating second-place and No. 9 Georgetown in head-to-head competition and defeating No. 1 Southern California, No. 12 Stanford, No. 10 College of Charleston, Washington, No. 20 Texas, Michigan, Eckerd and Wisconsin, which finished in order from fifth through 12th.

Beginning tomorrow, the co-ed team wraps up its season with the ICYRA Co-ed Dinghy Championship at the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy in Kings Point, N.Y.