Menino Asks Harvard to Rework Dorm Plans

Ask anyone at Harvard and they will say the school's relationship with Boston is better than it has been in years. But University administrators are learning that a good relationship does not necessarily make development any easier in Boston's cramped neighborhoods.

Last Wednesday, Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino asked Harvard to redesign a proposal for graduate student housing in Allston, after hearing that residents were outraged over the 21-story structure.

"As you know, the Allston community has serious reservations about the design," Menino wrote in a letter to Harvard President Neil L.

Rudenstine. "In view of that, and because inevitably this project is an important signal of Harvard's larger presence in Boston in the years to come...I must request a redesign to occur."

The interaction illustrates the complicated nature of Harvard development at the current time. University administrators are in almost constant communication with city officials and undertake building projects with the city's full support. But in return for their support, city officials are demanding an unprecedented degree of flexibility from Harvard.

And Harvard has no choice but to accede to city demands if it hopes to sustain the relationship.

"We're absolutely going to honor [the mayor's] request," says Paul S.

Grogan, Harvard's vice president for government, community and public affairs. "The result, though, could mean a setback of anywhere between eight months and a year."