Four Harvard Players Taken in NHL Draft

Ivy League rookie of the year selected in third round

Four members of the Harvard men's hockey team were selected in the National Hockey League's annual entry draft last weekend.

Center Dominic M. Moore '03 and wingers J. Brett Nowak '03, along with incoming first-years Robert Fried and Tyler Kolarik, all have a golden chance to turn pro when their collegiate days are over.

Moore and Fried were picked on Friday in the third round while Nowak was chosen in the fourth round. The expansion Columbus Blue Jackets took Kolarik in the fifth.

The New York Rangers selected Moore 95th overall. He led the Crimson last season with 12 goals and also tacked on eight assists, earning the Ivy League Rookie of the Year award for his efforts.

The speedy Moore impressed the scouts with his ability to break down defenders one-on-one and his natural instinct for the goal. The NHL's Central Scouting Bureau (CSB) praised him as a "smart, patient playmaker in the offensive zone...[that] plays a focused and controlled finesse game."

His one liability at this stage of his development may be his size. He may have to add some more weight to his 185-pound frame to excel in the rough-and-tumble Eastern Conference.

"Dom is a really good prospect for our organization," said Rangers Assistant General Manager Don Maloney. "I like the subtleties in his game with his smart stick and his hockey instincts. He shows a lot of courage in his play, and when he gets stronger, should be a dominant player in college."

Moore joins older brothers Mark ('00) and Steven ('01) in the ranks of NHL draftees.