Radcliffe Trust Decides Representation, Grant Award Policies

Trust will require groups to gain Faculty approval for funding

Members of the Ann Radcliffe Trust, meeting yesterday for the last time this semester, decided the Trust will guarantee representation on its student-Faculty committee to certain key student groups.

Committee members continued to discuss how Trust representatives will be chosen in the future, and they approved a final draft of the grant application for Trust funds.

A Faculty endorsement will be required of all groups applying to the Trust for funding.

This is a sharp departure from the precedent set by the Radcliffe Union of Students (RUS), which was funded by a $5 fee charged to all female undergraduates and made grant decisions without Faculty involvement.

"If something is flaky enough where students are reluctant to approach a Faculty member...then why would we institutionally support it?" said Harry R. Lewis '68, dean of Harvard College.

But some on the committee objected to the additional requirement for student groups looking for funds.

"It's not the right kind of hurdle people should go over," said David B. Orr '01.

Decisions about representation on the Trust and the grants process are important indicators of how the Trust will function in the future. The group--which is effectively replacing RUS as a funding source--will have nearly $20,000 to dole out next year to student groups with an interest in women's issues.