Deborah Abeles: Fierce and Friendly

This June, amidst the pomp and circumstance of Harvard's annual commencement ceremonies, softball co-captain Deborah Abeles will proudly receive her diploma with a degree in English. After four years on the diamond, she is prepared for any curveballs that life after college may throw at her.

She certainly handled well all the curveballs thrown at her in college.

Over the past four years, the infielder has set nearly every hitting record for the softball team. As a freshman in 1997, Abeles blazed onto the scene and nabbed Ivy League Rookie of the Year honors with a league-best 37 RBIs, while leading the team in triples, RBIs, runs, and homeruns.

Not a bad start for someone who might have chosen not to play softball at all.

Doctor Abeles

At Flintridge Prep in California, Deborah excelled in softball, soccer, and volleyball, lettering in all three sports in her four years of high school. In fact, she tried out for the women's soccer team as a freshman and advanced to the final cuts before deciding to focus her efforts on softball.

"I enjoyed playing soccer in high school, so it was definitely tough to give up," Abeles says. "But once I got here, I knew it would be tough to keep up academically while playing two sports. Some people do it, and I think it's pretty amazing."

Despite her modesty and reluctance to play a second sport, Abeles has never backed down from a challenge. As an English/pre-med concentrator, Abeles' academic career has proven to be as challenging as her battles on the diamond. Most of her elective courses have been devoted to pre-med requirements, and she will still need to finish up some courses before taking her MCATs and applying for medical school.