Golf Teams Seeing Green(s)

With the nation's eyes fixed on Tiger Woods' performance at the Masters, the Harvard men's and women's golf teams will open their spring schedules this weekend.

Both teams look to build upon their performances during the fall, which culminated in a third-place finish at the NEIGA Championships for the men and a 17th-place showing for the women at the ECAC Championships.

Move Over Tiger

The Crimson men, under the tutelage of Coach Bob Leonard, bounced back from a shaky start in the fall, improving their team and individual play throughout the season. The team, led by junior co-captains Matt Dost and Kaj Vazales, had a rough outing at the opening Yale Invitational, finishing 26th in the 36-team pool. Just two weeks later, the men rebounded with a strong showing at the Toski Invitational, taking sixth place and gaining some much-needed confidence going into the annual ECAC Championships.

With an impressive third-place finish at the ECAC match, the men handily defeated the Ivy League competition but fell just short of winner Skidmore College and runner-up Colgate.

The men hope to maintain this renewed confidence as they open their spring schedule. The roster features the veteran experience of five returning juniors and one senior, complemented by the talented play of two underclassmen. Freshman Joseph Jackson has high expectations for the team going into its spring matches.

"This season is really exciting because we have a solid group of up to 10 golfers who could contribute, and at least five who will be consistently shooting competitive rounds," Jackson wrote in an e-mail message. "Although the spring season is really short, the most important tournament of the year, the Ivy League championship, is

on the schedule, and we are looking for a top finish there."