No. 5 Duke Hands No. 13 M. Lax First Loss of Season

The 13th ranked Harvard men's lacrosse team posted wins over Penn and Fairfield during spring break to extend its unbeaten season before losing to No. 5 Duke.

The Blue Devils (7-2, 2-0 ACC) beat the Crimson 14-8, limiting Harvard to only two goals in each quarter.

The Crimson hung with Duke early and was down just 6-4 at the half. In the third quarter the Blue Devils reeled off four straight goals to put the game out of reach for Harvard.

Senior attackman Jared Frood, senior midfielder T.J. Durnan and brothers Nick and Chris Hartofilis accounted for those four strikes to give Duke a 10-4 lead.

The first half was much the same. Junior midfielders Roger Buttles and Adam McGowan scored in the opening minutes to give the Crimson a 2-0 lead.

Duke then scored five unanswered goals, three of them on extra-man situations. Senior attackman Jared Frood scored three of those five with fellow seniors, midfielders Chris Kakel and T.J. Durnan, accounting for the other two.

Senior attackman Lawson DeVries stopped the Blue Devil scoring run to make the score 5-3 off of an assist from junior attackman Dana Sprong.

Nick Hartofilis scored off of an extra man opportunity to put Duke up 6-3 and then Harvard's Buttles scored in a two man-advantage situation to leave the Crimson down by two at halftime.