Focus

Nostalgia Indulged

A good way to procrastinate once you hit senior spring is to sit around with your friends and reminisce. Where you once just surfed the web or arranged your CD's in reverse alphabetical order instead of writing that term paper, you now have almost four years worth of memories to relive, and though nostalgia is a little self-indulgent, it's more than occasionally necessary. Two years ago almost to this very day, I wrote a nostalgic column, which I now realize that as a sophomore I had no business writing. I was concerned that I had completed almost half my Harvard experience, and after hosting several pre-frosh for the weekend, I felt old. I wrote, "Their enthusiasm for all things new, like the ice cream bash and their first a cappella jam of thousands to come seemed this year more alien to me as a jaded sophomore. I started waxing wistfully about the passing years...."

Clearly, I had no idea what I was talking about. Some strict editor should have stopped me. And while I have only slightly more of an idea of what I'm talking about two years later, at least I have the aura, however mistaken, of senior wisdom around me. This weekend is pre-frosh weekend for the Class of 2004, so I've been self-indulgent with the hope of helping others and compiled a list, with the help of friends, of Things to Do at Harvard as an Undergraduate. For those who make the (right) decision to come to Cambridge next fall, for those about to leave the banks of the Charles, and for all of us in between, this list might provide some inspiration the next time you're looking to procrastinate:

In the fall...

Go to dinner at 5. Leave at 7:30.

Take walks around the Yard.

Go to a Red Sox game.

Learn to navigate in UNIX.

Put a jack-o-lantern on the head of the John Harvard statue.