Rain-weary Softball Falls to Terriers

Yesterday's game against Boston University was supposed to allow the Crimson to have some out-of-league fun at the end of the season. Instead, with rain postponing a good portion of its schedule, Harvard found itself with an unnecessary distraction in the midst of an Ivy League championship race.

Taking on the red-hot Terriers (26-13, 13-3 America East), Harvard (12-18, 5-0) was limited to five hits in a 5-2 loss.

The game showcased two teams at the top of their conferences. BU, best in the America East league, has won 17 of its last 18 games. The Crimson had gotten rained out most of last weekend, but with a victory over Penn remained undefeated in the Ivies.

Pitching, as usual, was the key to the afternoon.

Both Harvard starter Chelsea Thoke and BU's Robyn King came out firing, with Thoke striking out five in her two innings of work. King gave up one hit and also struck out five before she was pulled in the fourth inning.

The Terriers seized the opportunity when sophomore Suzanne Guy came into the game in the top of the third in relief of Thoke.

BU Shortstop Nili Schnairsohn drove in the first run, knocking in second baseman Kerry Herr with a bloop single. First baseman Amy Parker, who had doubled before the first run and moved to third off Schnairsohn's hit, then stole home.

Harvard was down 2-0 before Guy recorded an out. BU added another run later in the inning to go up 3-0 and never relinquished the lead.