UC Welcomes Pudding Takeover, Hopes to Influence Repairs

Some members see building as new student center

When Associate Dean of the College David P. Illingworth '71 announced last week the recently acquired Hasty Pudding building would be used for student space, some Undergraduate Council leaders said they felt their prayers had been answered.

Over the past several years, the council has agitated for Harvard to build a student center--even offering administrators $25,000 to look into such a project.

"I e-mailed [Student Affairs Committee Chair (SAC)] Mike Shumsky and said, 'Look, we might get a student center and get to keep our $25,000!'" said SAC Vice Chair Paul A. Gusmorino '02.

But in the days since Illingworth's announcement, some of the council's initial enthusiasm has waned as members expressed concern they might be shut out of the discussion of how to use the new space

Many of the council's leaders said yesterday they will insist on student representation on the committee that will decide how to renovate and slice up the building.

Council President Fentrice D. Driskell '01 met yesterday with lllingworth to discuss the future of the Pudding structure, which will be renovated early next year.

Driskell said she is excited about the takeover but wary that it will be mishandled if the council does not take action in ensuring that students have a say in the process.

"It would be a shame if the council didn't take advantage of the opportunity," Driskell said Sunday.