M. Lightweight Crew Wins, W. Heavyweights Loses to Brown

The Harvard lightweight men's and the Radcliffe heavyweight women's crew teams traveled to two different venues Saturday, and the weather played a big factor in both races.

Men's Lightweights

The men's lightweights journeyed to Ithaca to take on Cornell and Penn in a three-team match. With relatively calm weather and a small headwind, the varsity eight was able to outpace the Big Red and the Quakers by a comfortable margin. It ran the 1500-meter race at 5:50.06, while Cornell came in second with a 5:57.90 showing, followed by Penn at 6:02.55.

"The conditions were great and we really started off well," sophomore Pat Todd said. "We had a length lead early on and just put on a sprint at the end to finish the race strong."

The junior varsity and third varsity boats also came in first in their 1500-meter races with respective times of 6:19.98 and 6:08.54.

Cornell and Penn placed second and third once again in each race.

The junior varsity race was restarted after Harvard and Cornell collided halfway through, but the Crimson still managed to come out on top.

"[The varsity] has been getting faster and faster every week," Todd said. "Finishing four seconds behind Yale in our California race gave us some motivation for the rest of the season. We have been picking up boat speed and hope to be able to catch them by the end of the year."