Wrestling Pins Fourth Place at EIWAs

Back in November, just as the season was beginning, Harvard wrestling Coach Jay Weiss described this team as "something special."

And after last weekend's EIWA Tournament at Navy, four Crimson wrestlers will continue their special season at the NCAA Championships. Harvard placed fourth out of 13 teams in Annapolis, claiming seven top-six finishes in addition to the four NCAA berths.

Highlighting the tournament was co-captain Joey Killar (165 pounds), the reigning EIWA champion. With his first place finish this weekend, Killar became the second grappler in Crimson history to earn two consecutive EIWA championships. Dustin DeNunzio '99 became the first to do so last season.

After turning in tremendous performances, co-captain Ed Mosley (174 pounds), sophomore heavyweight Dawid Rechul, and freshman Max Odom (149 pounds) will join Killar as Harvard's representatives at the national championships.

The Crimson headed to the EIWA riding a three-game winning streak. With four freshmen in its lineup, Harvard finished with 99.5 points, 20 points ahead of fifth-place Brown. However, the Crimson was unable to overtake league rivals Lehigh, Penn and Cornell, who claimed the top three spots, respectively.

Killar was in top form as he grappled his way to another championship.

After a bye in the first round, he easily dismantled Jim Stanec of Cornell 13-3 in the quarterfinals before defeating Greg Parker of Princeton by a 16-1 technical fall in the semis. In the finals, Killar faced Travis Doto of Lehigh, ranked No. 8 in the nation.

After losing a close bout to Doto in January, Killar was more than ready for revenge. He took a 2-0 lead 51 seconds into the first period and never looked back, eventually sealing a 6-5 win and guaranteeing a second EIWA title and a place in the Crimson record books.