Wyant Takes Third in NISRA's

Trinity's Cowie gets revenge from last year

The third time wasn't the charm.

Men's squash co-captain Tim Wyant ended his Harvard career with a third place finish at the National Intercollegiate Squash Racquet Association (NISRA) Individual Championships, hosted by Williams College. Wyant, the third seed in the tournament, lost to second-ranked Marcus Cowie of Trinity for the third time in a month.

Wyant had dethroned Cowie, a two-time national champion, in last year's quarterfinals, and had gone on to finish second to Peter Yik of Princeton.

This year, Cowie regained the upper hand. Cowie had taken each of the previous matches, including the No. 1 matchup at last week's team national championships, by a 3-1 score.

Sunday's match produced the same result. Cowie won in four close matches, (15-6, 14-15, 15-12, 15-8).

The third-seeded Wyant did leave his mark on the final, however. While the top-seeded Yik had a relatively easy time dispatching with Trinity senior Preston Quick in the other semifinal match, Cowie's encounter with Wyant left him exhausted. Yik crushed the visibly winded Trinity captain in three straight games, and successfully defended his title.

Wyant opened the tournament with wins over opponents from Penn and Amherst. Arif Paul of Denison extended Wyant to five games before Wyant took the final frame, 15-13.

The Crimson got solid performances from the other six men who made the trip to Williamstown, Mass. Junior Deepak Abraham defeated Yale junior Frederick Bouchardy 3-0 and Trinity senior Laurens Coetzee before falling to Quick, the 4th seed.