Killar, Mosely Earn All-American Honors at NCAA Championships

All season long, Harvard wrestling co-captains Joey Killar and Ed Mosley have led by example, turning in one great performance after in both tournament and dual meet competition. And this weekend simply proved a culmination of this standard of excellence, as the two capped off outstanding collegiate careers by earning All-American honors at the NCAA Championships.

It is the second time in Crimson history that two wrestlers earned All-American accolades in the same season. Last year was the first, with Killar and Dustin DeNunzio '99 distinguishing themselves. Killar, DeNunzio, and John Lee '53 are the only repeat All-Americans for the Crimson.

"I feel great. Nationals is a very intimidating and tough tournament," Harvard Coach Jay Weiss said. "To place two guys both years is amazing. They should be very proud."

Securing the trip to Nationals with a top finishes at Easterns, Killar, Mosley, sophomore Dawid Rechul, and freshman Max Odom headed to St. Louis this past weekend ready to battle the nation's best wrestlers for the coveted All-American honors, reserved for the top eight wrestlers in each weight class. The four combined for a highly respectable 28th overall finish.

Almost two weeks after capturing the EIWA championship title--another honor earned last season as well--Killar went to nationals and proved himself to be among the best of the best. The journey to All-American status began with a first round victory over Hofstra's Noel Thompson. Following this, he pulled out a 3-1 overtime victory against No. 11 Rangi Smart of BYU.

In the quarterfinals, Killar faced one of the top contenders in the weight class, No. 3 Steve Blackford of Arizona State. After a heated match that went into overtime, Killar lost a heartbreaker as Blackford went for a shot early in overtime and was able to get the better of Killar in a scramble.

"The best wrestling of the tournament is done in quarters and semis," Weiss said. "Three returning national champions lost in the quarters. It is a very tough round."

In the wrestlebacks, Killar then posted a 2-1 win over strong opponent Ty Wilcox of Oklahoma State. Although he would go on to lose the next two matches, Killar's tough wrestling already had secured him the necessary eighth place for his All-American stripes.