The "V" Spot: Beanpot Blues

For both No. 3 Boston University and the Harvard men's hockey team, the Beanpot Tournament has become very familiar. Overall the Terriers have won the last five championships and the Crimson have, well, lost.

A quick glance at last night's 4-0 result reveals that nothing much has changed. The Terriers are in mix for six, and their Coach Jack Parker spent the post game gloating again.

But Harvard captain Trevor Allman sat in the locker room after the second period and dwelled upon history of a different kind.

His team was only down 1-0 to a more talented B.U. squad off an early goal by winger Jack Baker. The Crimson had managed to weather an early Terrier storm on the strength of spectacular senior netminder J.R. Prestifilippo.

Allman knew the tying goal had precedence.

In the 1998 Beanpot Final, the Crimson also trailed 1-0 after two periods on an early goal by the eventual Hobey Baker winner Chris Drury. Prestifilippo, in his first game back from mononucleosis, kept the score intact long enough for then-freshman winger Harry Schwefel to tie the score late in the third off the nicest pass Brice Conklin '99 made in his entire Crimson career.

The Crimson lost the game in overtime, but Schwefel's heroic shot made the mighty Terriers sweat out sudden death.

But at 10:24 of the third last night, Harvard discovered its only hero would be Prestifilippo, and like every single time in his career, he wouldn't be enough.