M. Tennis Beats New Mexico, Goes 1-2 at ITA Indoor Team Championships

The No. 23 Harvard men's tennis team made its mark on the national scene this past weekend, going 1-2 in team play against some of the top programs in the country, including a near-upset over No. 11 Southern Methodist.

At the United States Tennis Association (USTA)/Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) Indoor Team Championships in Louisville, Ky., the Crimson (7-2) defeated New Mexico, 4-3, on Sunday, after falling on Thursday to No. 7 UCLA, 8-0, and barely losing, 5-2 to No. 11 SMU on Friday.

"When I look at where we were in September compared to how we are performing this weekend, and the progress that the guys have made, it's very strong," Coach Dave Fish '72 said.

The tournament was played under experimental new rules in which a team that swept all three doubles matches earned two points instead of the usual one point. A team that wins the doubles 2-1 earns just one point.

Harvard 4, New Mexico 3

In a difficult match against a tough Lobo team, the Crimson managed to hold New Mexico off for to earn its only win of the weekend.

In the doubles matches, co-captain John Doran and freshman Cillie Swart captured the No. 2 slot early, winning 8-4. Sophomore William Lee and junior Andrew Styperek fell 8-5 at No. 3 doubles, setting up a showdown at No. 1 doubles. Co-captain Joe Green and freshman Dave Lingman took an 8-6 win over the No. 48 doubles team in the country of Matt Amgwerd and Nicolas Dubey.

Harvard entered the singles matches up 1-0 but still needed to split the singles contests to win the match.