M. Hockey Sweeps Tigers, Elis

Moores, Bala shine in first win at Yale since 1993

A week ago, the Harvard men's hockey tam played the best it has all year, but still got swept by North Country rivals No. 9 St. Lawrence and Clarkson at Bright. This weekend a reinvigorated Crimson focused its frustration and intensity on two new targets--Ivy rivals Princeton and Yale, turning in new best performances of the year.

And this time it paid off.

In its first road sweep since downing both Dartmouth and Vermont in Jan. 1999, the Crimson (10-14-2, 8-9-2 ECAC) posted two consecutive victories over the Tigers (10-13-3, 8-8-3, ECAC) and the Elis (9-12-5, 6-9-4 ECAC) last weekend.

Not only did the sweep grant Harvard sole occupancy of seventh place in league standings, but it also shattered a winless streak that both Princeton and Yale held over the Crimson at their respective home rinks. Harvard's 4-2 triumph over Princeton ended a three-season winning drought at Hobey Baker Rink, and its 5-2 victory over Yale handed the Elis their first loss to the Crimson at Ingalls Rink since the 1993-94 season.

Harvard 5, Yale 2

Though it's unlikely that the Crimson will capture a national championship title this year, Mazzoleni can say with pride that his squad achieved one milestone that the 1988-89 NCAA Championship team did not--beating Yale at Ingalls Rink.

The Crimson dropped a 3-1 decision to the Bulldogs that year, and since then had only defeated Yale once, dominating the Elis 12-1 during the 1993-94 season.

With the chance of home ice increasing among the Crimson's realm of playoff possibilities, Harvard put the curse of Ingalls Rink to rest and used its momentum from its victory over Princeton to nab a decisive and much-needed 5-2 win.