Galluccio Wins Mayorial Battle

For six long weeks the Cambridge City Council was dead-locked in its struggle to elect a mayor, without a steady hand at its helm. Finally, through a series of late-night bargains and vote-switches, former Vice Mayor Anthony Galluccio nosed out Councillor Kathy Born to become the first mayor of Cambridge for the 21st century.

Galluccio was our pick for mayor after the November elections. His willingness to work with business interests to address the housing crunch while other councillors simply try to cling to a system of rent-control which was abolished statewide by voters in 1994 was one of our main reasons for supporting his candidacy. Now that he has been elected, we hope he makes housing his first priority, as he promised the councillors who voted him into office. The only way that Cambridge will be able to cope with the current rent crisis is to build more housing, as much of it affordable as possible.

Galluccio was also the top-vote getter in November's election by a wide margin, ensuring that, at least for the time being, he has the support of the community behind him. Galluccio also had the support of former Mayor Francis H. Duehay '55, a Cambridge political veteran who retired from his long career on the council last year. These two endorsements, from both a highly respected leader of the community and by the voters of Cambridge, made Galluccio the natural choice for the mayorship.

Galluccio is an independent in Cambridge-political terms, which means that in the larger political context he is a run-of-the-mill Democrat. Cambridge city politics, highly liberal by any measure, has been dominated by progressives prior to Duehay's term in office.

Perhaps the most surprising political gain last week was made by councillor David Maher. Maher, who garnered the least votes in the November election, only narrowly edging out veteran council member Katherine Triantifillou, became the next vice mayor last Monday night. This former member of the school committee is not a complete unknown, but his abilities will be tested in this new role.

These two men will have a lot of work to do in the coming years. Cambridge is facing a very real housing crisis, and its demographic landscape is shifting dramatically. In order to succeed they must stick to their campaign promises and put the political squabbling which brought them to power behind. It is time for Cambridge's council to move effectively on the issues which most affect their constituents.