What Do Dems Do: Quibble About Candidates, Rankle Conservatives and Change the World

Upon hearing the name "Harvard-Radcliffe College Democrats," most students probably think they have a good idea of the club's purpose and what it stands for.

Stereotypically--albeit accurately--pegged as the nesting ground for campaign-crazed future politicians and fanatical progressive types, the club also offers a surprisingly wide array of alternative opportunities for political involvement.

And rather than pushing one solid party line, the club embraces opinions from along the entire continuum of Democratic Party thought.

From participating in the presidential election to coordinating efforts with other campus groups, from internships with senators to local voter registration drives, the club is well-stocked with engaging activities for those new to the political scene as well as those wishing to flex their already well-developed political muscles.

It's in the Roots

The club was founded over 40 years ago in order promote the political ideals of the Democratic Party. Now with an active membership of about 50 members and over 600 students on its e-mail list, the club works to continue spreading their Democratic message.

The executive board, which provides the club's only formal structure, meets every week and serves more as a steering committee, aiming to focus its resources on involvement instead of red tape.

The club holds no formal meetings, except for introductory membership meetings, and is connected mainly through the activities it sponsors and participates in.

"The structure of the organization remains fairly consistent," says Marc Stad '01, the club's current president. "While our programming varies from year to year, our ultimate aim is to get as many students involved, educated and excited about Democratic politics."

And this year, the numbers show they've been successful. Probably due in large part to the impending election, the club has drawn an unusually large number of new members, with first-year students more involved.

Of the 11 members of the current executive board, seven are first-years.

"We're definitely very bottom-heavy," Stad says.

This imbalance is a good sign though, he says. "Oftentimes, [first-years] are the students with the most energy, the most willing to put in time, the most excited about planning events, and the most eager to slowly move up the ranks to higher leadership roles," he says.

Getting the Word Out

One of the club's primary goals, Stad says, is simply "to provide students with information," be it to liberals or to conservatives.

"The College Democrats is a resource for Harvard that anyone can utilize," he says.