M., W. Squash Have Ivy Title Hopes Dashed by Tigers at Murr Center

The backcourt area of the Murr Cnter's Barnaby Courts features a wipe-away message board that currently exhorts the team to, "Leave it all on the court. At the end of the day, it's all that you can do."

At the end of a frenzied weekend of squash, however, all the Harvard men's and women's squash teams can do is reflect on opportunity lost.

Entering this weekend, both squads were presented with the chance to successfully defend their Ivy League titles at home by winning matches against Pennsylvania and Princeton.

Instead, the Harvard Crimson ended the weekend two titles lighter. The No. 2 men's team (11-2, 4-1 Ivy) lost a very close match to No. 3 Princeton 5-4 yesterday, leaving it a game behind the Tigers (8-1, 5-1 Ivy) in the Ivy League standings. The No. 2 women's team (6-3, 3-2 Ivy) fell to No. 1 Pennsylvania (7-0, 5-0 Ivy) 6-3 a day earlier.

"It's a tough loss," co-captain Eric Lauer said afterwards. "Under different circumstances, we could have won."

In the flip sides of the two matches, the men defeated their Quaker counterparts 9-0 on Saturday, while the women fell to Princeton in another 5-4 heartbreaker.

"Close 5-4 matches are always very difficult to take," Harvard Coach Satinder Bajwa said after the Princeton losses. "But we had some very tough times."

The bulk of the difficulties faced by the men's team came in the form of injuries to top players. Junior No. 2 Deepak Abraham's match against Princeton freshman David Yik was interrupted when Abraham hurt his