M. Hoops Takes on the "Killer P's"

The rubber hits the road this weekend as the Harvard men's basketball team (8-11, 3-3 Ivy) travels to play Ivy League-leading Penn (11-7, 4-0) and second place Princeton (11-8, 3-1).

Tonight's match-up pits the Crimson against the Quakers and senior point guard Michael Jordan. Averaging 15.2 points and 4.6 assists per game, Jordan is a threat because of his explosive quickness and shot-making ability.

Trying to bolster its program's competitiveness by competing against top-ranked teams, Penn lost to Kentucky, Auburn and Kansas this season. Despite the results, the Quakers gained valuable experience playing against those high caliber teams.

That experience has paid off thus far for Penn in Ivy League play. The Quakers have beaten league opponents by an average of 22 points per game.

The Quakers present lots of match-up problems for opposing teams. First and foremost, Jordan is probably the best point guard in the Ivies. He can create his own shot, shooting nearly 49% from the field this season, drive to the basket or hit the floater in the lane.

Additionally, when Harvard junior center Tim Coleman rotates to help out on Jordan's forays into the lane, the Crimson will have to be able to find 6' 5 senior shooting guard Matt Langel. He loves to set up outside the three-point arc and has shot 40% from three-point range this season.

The third option for Penn offensively is 6' 11 center Geoff Owens who nets eight points and a team- leading seven rebounds per game.

For Harvard to contain the Quaker attack it will have to look to force Penn into taking tough shots. The Quaker starters average 44.8% shooting from the field.