Wyant Sweeps McNeely in Squash's Perfect Evening

After a weekend that included disappointing losses to Trinity, the Harvard squash teams hoped to return to business as usual last night.

Winning.

Both squads did that in emphatic fashion sweeping their opponents without dropping a single game at the Murr Center's Bradley Courts The No. 2 men's team topped Amherst 9-0, while the women blanked Tufts by the same score.

The men were relegated to the back courts against No. 15 Amherst (3-6), but that didn't stop the Crimson (10-1, 3-0 Ivy) from improving its record.

"This was an important win for us because we did so well up top," said first-year Harvard Coach Satinder Bajwa. "We need to show that we can win games with the top of the order as well, not just because of our depth."

Bajwa was alluding to the team's loss to Trinity, in which the No. 5-9 players were expected to represent the team's best chance at victory. On Wednesday night, the top of the order received virtually all of the attention, as co-captain Tim Wyant dueled with Amherst's star and the nation's highest-ranked collegiate player, David McNeely.

The fact that the Crimson had already won its first eight matches by the time the marquee matchup commenced, many in lopsided fashion, did not remove any luster from the showdown between Wyant and McNeely.

Those assembled in Murr were treated to an hour of on-court artistry as the two fierce competitors met, often physically, and seemed early on to be destined for a dramatic finish.