Other Harvard Ad Boards Accept Student Input

Harvard's various schools differ widely in mission and teaching style, but the organizations employed by Harvard's many schools to handle disciplinary matters and administrative petitions are not all that different.

Whether called an Administrative Board or an Academic Societies Promotion and Review Board, these committees deal mainly with ensuring that students' behavior, both academic and social, matches that expected of a Harvard student.

But there are several crucial differences across Harvard's nine schools. For example, the College does not allow students to sit on its ad board out of fear that students will not be as objective as the faculty members.

Harvard Law School (HLS), however, sees things differently. Three of the seven voting members of the board are students--and they hear all cases involving their peers.

In addition, HLS, unlike the College, allows students to bring lawyers to argue their cases before the ad board.

Over the years, the College ad board has faced stiff criticism from both students and faculty for not giving students an adequate voice in the decision-making process. Some have urged the College to mend its current system, specifically by making the process more democratic and allowing students to sit on the board.

Perhaps, some have suggested, the College might take a look across the Yard at how things are done at the University's other institutions, and especially at HLS.

Among Peers?