Zambonis Send Smoke Into Ice Rink, Force Game Delays

In a scene that seemed straight from the comedy Slapshot, not one but two of Harvard's zambonis malfunctioned yesterday, forcing the Harvard women's hockey team to postpone their second game of the season. Zambonis are the machines used to maintain the ice surface.

Tara A. Dunn '01, a forward on the team, said both zambonis appeared to have caught fire, sending fumes and some minor smoke throughout the arena. Dunn's teammate, Julie A. Rando '01 said she believed the zambonis had given off fumes and smoke but never caught on fire.

Both arrived at the rink several hours before the game's start time, but neither saw the zambonis malfunction.

Assistant Director for Sports Media Relations Lisa McEvoy said she was not sure exactly what the problem had been with the first zamboni, but "something needed to be extinguished."

She said the second zamboni may have leaked battery acid or antifreeze on the ice.

"Things like this do happen," McEvoy said. "No one can predict two zambonis going down."

The freak accident forced the women's hockey team to delay their game against Minnesota, which had originally been scheduled for 1 p.m.

It may also force both the women's and men's ice hockey teams to postpone their home games until a new zamboni can be found and the ice can be returned to playing condition.