Harvard Settles With Pudding Restaurant

UpStairs at the Pudding will stay until 2001

Putting an end to months of legal wrangling, Harvard University and the restaurant UpStairs at the Pudding announced yesterday that they reached a compromise where legal lawsuits would be dropped and the restaurant would serve patrons until Commencement 2001 has passed.

The restaurant will remain on the third floor of the Holyoke Street building until June 17, 2001.

After the restaurant moves out in June, the College can begin renovations on the century-old building.

Associate Dean of the College David P. Illingworth '71, said the agreement puts the College on track to finish the building renovations by the fall of 2002.

"This affects our plans positively. It means we can get in there and get going," he said.

Harvard and UpStairs have been involved in legal maneuverings all fall about the legitimacy of a lease the restaurant had with the former owner of the Pudding building, the graduate board of the Hasty Pudding student organizations.

Harvard officially took ownership of the building on Oct. 2. The University has owned the land the building sits on since 1986.

UpStairs filed suit against Harvard earlier this fall, in hopes of remaining in the building, despite the College's plans for extensive renovations. Harvard in turn filed its own lawsuit in mid-October.