Breyer: Courts Must Adjust to DNA Era

The court system must prepare itself for judicial decisions involving developments in genetics, Supreme Court Justice Stephen G. Breyer said yesterday afternoon in an address at the Charles Hotel.

His speech concluded the three-day conference of the National Commission on the Future of DNA Evidence, which brought together a diverse group of scientists, legal experts and bioethicists from all over the world.

"The [commission] and meetings such as the one we are now attending provide additional examples of productive conversation, taking place prior to, or during, significant legal change," Breyer said.

He also said it is imperative to continue dialogue between individuals in science and in law and other fields while making difficult science-related decisions in the courts.

"[America] will only continue to warrant praise if we who work in law, in science and in public policy increasingly understand one another and work together," he said.

Breyer, a graduate of Harvard Law School, said that because none of the nine current Supreme Court justices have any background in the natural sciences, lawyers and scientists have to prepare extensive briefs to educate them about complex scientific issues.

"Since the implications of our decisions in the real world often can and should play a role in our legal decisions, the clearer our understanding of the relevant science, the better," he said.

Additionally, he emphasized the importance of discussing the potential social and economic impact of DNA decisions in public forums.