Harvard Gains Three Points From Cornell, Colgate

About the only thing the Harvard men's hockey team failed to extract out of its trip to upstate New York this weekend was revenge.

The Crimson (3-1-1, 3-1-1 ECAC) returned to Cornell (2-2-1, 2-1-1 ECAC) on Friday, the site of its first round exit of a year ago, and, despite a strong performance, managed to walk away with just a 1-1 tie. Harvard then defeated Colgate (2-6-2, 1-3-0), 3-2, at Starr Rink on Saturday, giving the Crimson three valuable ECAC points off an extremely difficult road weekend.

"We played really well this weekend," freshman winger Tyler Kolarik said. "We managed to stay within out system, and while we obviously would've liked to have beaten Cornell as well, three points is not a bad showing at all."

Headlining the Crimson's efforts on the road trip was another stellar performance from senior goaltender Oli Jonas. In one short month as the team's No. 1 netminder, he has firmly ensconced himself as a bedrock between the pipes.

"Jonas was simply great for us," sophomore center Dominic Moore said. "He kept us in the game against Cornell and was excellent all weekend."

The team also displayed its versatility as it matched the strength of a large Cornell squad and skated stride-for-stride with the fleet Red Raiders.

The weekend makes up for a disappointing 5-3 home loss to Vermont last Friday and bumps the Crimson into second place in the ECAC, one point behind the Catamounts--but having played one more game.

The one unusual part of the trip was that the Moore brothers--sophomore Dominic and captain Steve each did not play one game this weekend for reasons not readily apparent. Dominic missed the Cornell game and Steve did not play against Colgate.