In the Mix

MEA CULPA

Some members of my blocking group have commented that my musical listening habits have become so esoteric over the last three years that I always talk endlessly about artists no one else has heard of (Monday Michiru! Full Intention!). At the same time Soman commented that "In the Mix" sounds very British in tone (and indeed, it would be British in spelling if not for the efforts of the proofers on the Crimson staff-thanks Alan et al), and apparently no one in America is listening to British music anymore, at least according to George Michael. So really I have no idea if my column is speaking to anyone.

So in a final moment of clarity before I retreat into a cave and forever obsess about import versions of singles by the Jam, I shall try to name songs that I like that were fairly well-known: "Jumpin' Jumpin'" by Destiny's Child," "Shackles (Praise You)" by Mary Mary, "Thank You" by Dido, "Baby Did a Bad Thing" by Chris Isaak, "Porcelain" by Moby (I confess) and "Got Your Money" by Ol' Dirty Bastard (right). ODB IS ON THE LOOSE. ODB IS ON THE LOOSE. We interrupt this program to bring you this news. Wow. I always thought these things happened only in the movies. But as I'm sure you know by now, ODB fled from Impact House, site of a treatment program and where he was living since June. Sadly, I doubt this is important enough to end up with ODB in a Bronco being chased live on TV. Maybe you can follow any chase on AM radio.

CALL ME

You know you've fallen victim to fashion trends when...you want a cell phone with programmable ringtones. (Okay, I'll admit I own one that works overseas, but I want one here!) You can get Blur's new single "Music is my Radar" from iobox.com, but only if you live in, oh, most of Europe, Asia, Egypt or South Africa. When Egyptians have better cell phones than Americans...

I WANT CANDY

I swear I don't get Limp Bizkit (right). "Chocolate starfish" is the kind of phrase that's only funny when you're 14.

Of course, this comes from a columist who used the phrase "farty-pants" as a cheap source of humor last week.

CONCERT

I was speaking to a friend the other day and discussing the lack of big names on the Boston concert calendar this year compared to previous years. Fortunately, there's a host of talented lesser-known faces arriving. Elliott Smith comes into town tomorrow, while Lockgroove, who headlined last year's Crimson-Advocate band showcase Blast!, performs at the Wheeler-Lynch Gallery. On Monday, alt-metal band Slipknot comes to Avalon while sensation Jill Scott sings at the Paradise. Jill Scott is, of course, part of that same amazing revival of Philly R&B and soul that produced the Roots. (Indeed, Scott wrote the Roots' slinky hit "You Got Me.") Next Friday, Badly Drawn Boy (ne Damon Gough) comes to the Paradise to promote his stunning album The Hour of Bewilderbeast. Or, to use movie-trailer speak, if you like the Beta Band you'll love this!

And finally, an actual concert by a big name! Tickets for the Dave Matthews Band (right) concert at the Fleet Center Dec. 11 go on sale at 11 a.m. tomorrow.

All you fans can get in line. I'm going back into my cave.

Comments? Know where the ODB is?

E-mail dsng@fas or see www.dsng.net