No. 11 W. Soccer Falls to Old Nemesis UConn

Yesterday afternoon was just the wrong time for the No. 11 Harvard women's soccer team to be looking for a win against historical nemesis Connecticut.

One week ago, the Huskies were in disarray, falling out of the national rankings after dropping consecutive Wednesday contests to Yale and Dartmouth.

But on this Wednesday, UConn (13-5-2)--suddenly riding high after a scoreless tie against No. 1 Notre Dame--was back to its powerhouse form in a 1-0 win over the Crimson (10-4, 4-1).

"Regardless of where they're ranked, they're definitely one of the top teams in the country," Coach Tim Wheaton said.

The lone goal of the game came off a corner kick in the 25th minute. The Crimson, completely neglecting the short option, allowed Lauren Naida to receive the kick just outside of the box.

With all the time in the world and plenty of traffic in front to screen her intentions, Naida fired a hard shot towards the left corner of the goal. A Harvard defender who had been guarding the left post tried in vain to stop the shot, which deflected up and into the net.

The UConn goal was the culmination of 15 minutes of consistent Huskie attack, in which the Harvard defense struggled to clear the ball out and the Crimson offense had sub-par success passing the ball.

With the Crimson allowing so many scoring opportunities, it was only a matter of time before the Huskies broke through.