W. Soccer Regains Lead in Ivy Race

PRINCETON, N.J.--The Harvard women's soccer team, after a month-long hiatus, is finally back on top of the Ivy League standings.

An outstanding performance in net by sophomore Cheryl Gunther and scores by sophomore forward Joey Yenne in the 34th minute and freshman midfielder Katie Westfall in the 79th minute led Harvard (10-3, 4-1 Ivy) to a 2-0 win that knocked Princeton (10-4, 4-1) from the ranks of the Ivy unbeaten.

Yesterday, Gunther nearly posted another shutout, but No. 6 Penn State (16-2-1) stuck on a direct kick in the 76th minute to defeat the Crimson, 1-0.

The Harvard victory over Princeton creates a logjam atop the Ivy standings. The Crimson and Tigers are now tied for first, while both Brown (11-2, 3-1) and Dartmouth (10-3, 3-1) are even with the two leaders in the loss column.

Harvard will be back in action at Ohiri Field on Wednesday afternoon against traditional powerhouse Connecticut, before heading over to Dartmouth for a crucial Ivy matchup on Sunday.

Penn State 1, Harvard 0

After watching the Crimson come oh-so-close to scoring on three occasions in the first fifteen minutes, the Nittany Lions settled down and took control.

During the middle 30 minutes of the game, Penn State barely ever let Harvard get the ball out of its own end, yet the Crimson defense never let the Lions get a good look at the goal. Gunther's aggressive play in net shut down any shut down any Penn State attempts at free balls in the box.