First Faculty Meeting Emphasizes Seminars

The Faculty discussed possibly revamping the Freshmen Seminar program and the current dearth of Core classes at yesterday's full Faculty meeting, the first of the year.

Dean of the Faculty Jeremy R. Knowles also introduced his plans for the academic year at the meeting.

Knowles once again emphasized the need for more small-group instruction for first-year students and the importance of increasing the size of the Faculty.

Dean of Undergraduate Education Susan G. Pederson, in her first Faculty meeting as dean, explained the importance of small-group instruction for first-years with tenure track professors.

Only 16.7 percent of first-years took a course with less than 15 students that was taught by a tenure-track Faculty member last year, Pedersen said.

First-years, she emphasized, have been left out of the push for small-group instruction in the concentrations that has been driven by the Educational Policy Committee.

An increase in the number of small classes could be accomplished by Faculty who reaffirm their commitment to teaching in Freshman Seminars.

Pedersen will circulate a memorandum about issues potential first-year seminar changes would raise. The matter will be discussed in greater length at next month's Faculty meeting.