M. Basketball Tames Great Danes

Junior center Tim Coleman notched his second double-double in as many games as the Harvard men's basketball team downed Albany 78-60 Wednesday night at Lavietes Pavilion in its final tune-up before the Ivy season kicks in gear.

Senior captain Damian Long also poured in 13 of his 16 points in the second half to continue his scoring prowess of late.

The win snapped a two-game losing streak for the Crimson (6-7 overall, 1-0 Ivy), and stopped the team's 2-4 skid since losing junior forward Dan Clemente, an Albany native, to a season-ending eye injury.

"We showed a workman-like ethic tonight," Harvard coach Frank Sullivan said. "We got out of the gate well and then did a good job getting to the line."

Harvard, which jumped out to an early 9-0 lead and led 33-25 at halftime, never trailed in the contest. Though Albany (3-10) staged a run in the second half and managed to trim the Crimson advantage to just five points, steady defense and solid rebounding by Harvard staved off the Albany attack.

Led by Coleman's game-high 12 boards, Harvard overpowered the Great Danes on the glass, 37-28. Albany was especially outplayed in its own end, as the Crimson grabbed 22 defensive rebounds, compared to just 10 offensive boards for the Great Danes. As a result, Albany managed merely four points off second-chance opportunities while the Crimson collected 25.

Harvard's dominance on the glass put increased pressure on the Albany offense to take good shots, but the Great Danes were already struggling in that department. The Harvard defense held them to just 30.4 percent shooting in the first half. In particular, the Crimson took away Albany's most potent offensive weapon, the three-point basket, holding them to just 27.8 percent.

"We were very concerned with the three-point shot," Harvard coach Frank