Kennedy Endorses Gore; Bradley Shrugs

Democratic presidential candidate Al Gore '69 picked up the late but not unexpected endorsement of Sen. Edward M. Kennedy '54-'56 Wednesday, less than a month before the first state primary of the campaign in New Hampshire.

Flanked by the candidate himself, along with Boston Mayor Thomas M. Menino and a host of local and state officials at a Dorchester middle school, Kennedy praised Gore's commitment to working families, education and health care.

"I relish the opportunity to give my full-hearted and complete endorsement to my great friend, a magnificent vice president, and the next president of the United States, Al Gore," Kennedy said.

Echoing a theme of Gore's campaign, that he has been a more committed Democratic soldier than maverick opponent Bill Bradley, Kennedy said Gore has all the right credentials to receive his support.

"No one in this country has fought harder and been more effective for the principles of the Democratic Party than Al Gore," Kennedy said.

In the course of the five-minute endorsement speech, the liberal senator said Gore would be the "education president," the "strong economy president" and the "health care president."

Health care has long been an area of interest for Kennedy. He is currently a leading co-sponsor of national "patient's bill of rights legislation," and for years has championed federal efforts to provide health coverage for poor Americans.

In recent days, the Gore campaign has attacked Bradley's health reform proposals, saying they give the wealthy loopholes to deduct their insurance, while replacing the federal Medicare program that insures the poor with less-reliable vouchers for care.