Dunster May Field No Council Candidates

Fliers posted outside Dunster House yesterday urged House residents to vote for their Undergraduate Council representatives, but Dunster residents may find it difficult to cast their ballots.

As of the Sept. 27 deadline, not one Dunster resident had submitted a petition to run for one of the House's five council seats.

"That's not surprising," laughed Dunster resident Mary A. Piscitello '01. "I think a lot of people feel the U.C. chooses the wrong battles to fight."

Dunster resident Bradley C. Barnhorst '00 said he shared Piscitello's disgruntlement with the council.

"I would rather not have anyone speaking for me," he said. "I resent bold proclamations made by the U.C. when the representatives are elected by such a small number."

Brian A. Chernoff '00, one of last year's five Dunster representatives, said he feels that the council could provide a crucial link between the students and administration, but that it is not currently fulfilling that role.

"There's just not that much the U.C. can do," Chernoff said. "It's a forum for debate and discussion. The meetings are not all that productive."

Council President Noah Z. Seton '00 described the Dunster situation much more optimistically.

"Dunster is relatively underrepresented, but that doesn't reflect anything about the campus as a whole," he said. "There is definitely a lot of interest in the U.C."